CLINTON, Miss. – Within 60 days of a decision letter from FEMA, Hurricane Isaac survivors in Mississippi can ask the agency to review their case again.
Some of the reasons for an initial determination of ineligibility can be easily remedied with more information such as:
- Calling or writing to FEMA when a final insurance settlement is agreed upon.
- Indicating a willingness to re-locate to another residence; answering “Yes” to this question indicates flexibility in considering other temporary housing solutions but does not commit an applicant to move.
- Providing proof of ownership or residence, especially documents showing the damaged property was the primary residence at the time of the disaster.
- Returning the SBA disaster loan application.
- Signing essential documents.
Survivors can ask for another review to appeal the amount or type of help provided or any otherdecision about federal disaster assistance. Many issues can be resolved and allow applicants to receive disaster assistance.
When appealing, applicants should explain in writing why they disagree with a decision along withany new or additional documents supporting the appeal.
Appeal letters for Hurricane Isaac also should include:
- Federal disaster declaration number 4081-DR-MS on all pages of documents
- Applicant information, including;
- Nine-digit FEMA application number on all pages of documents
- Date and place of birth
- Address of the damaged dwelling
- Copies of verifiable documentation that supports the appeal. All receipts, bills and estimates must include contact information for the service provider. Keep all originals for your records.
- A copy of a state-issued identification card, unless the letter is notarized or includes the following statement: “I hereby declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.”
- The applicant’s signature.
Applicants can call the Disaster Legal Services hotline phone number at 877-691-6185 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday for free legal help with insurance claims. They can also call the Mississippi Insurance Department at 800-562-2957.
Mail the appeal letter to:
National Processing Service Center
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-7055
Applicants may fax their appeal letter to:
It is important to have appeal letters postmarked within 60 days of the date on the decision letter.
If applicants have any questions about the letters, they should call 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585 or go to www.fema.gov/help-after-disaster.