There are four ways to reach FEMA in Mississippi:
- You can register with FEMA on-line at DisasterAssistance.gov
- With your smartphone at m.fema.gov
- By calling toll-free at 1-800-621-3362 and 800-462-7585 (TTY), or
- Visit any of the disaster recovery centersEven if you have insurance, you should register. FEMA assistance may help pay for repairs that insurance doesn’t cover.
- If you rent or are a homeowner, you should apply for federal disaster assistance. You may be eligible for rental assistance, a grant to replace personal destroyed property or a low-interest SBA disaster home loan.
- FEMA disaster assistance is not income sensitive – your income does not affect your eligibility.
- FEMA disaster assistance does not affect other government assistance like Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid or pensions.
Accepting disaster assistance does not keep other people from receiving it.
- Disaster assistance from FEMA is not taxable.
- Non U.S. citizens may be eligible for FEMA assistance if they are lawful permanent residents or otherwise have legal status.
- Registering with the American Red Cross or calling 2-1-1 is not registering with FEMA. To be eligible for federal disaster assistance, you have to register with FEMA.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration – SBA – offers low-interest disaster loans to homeowners and renters to repair or replace disaster-damaged real estate and personal property. SBA also offers loans to businesses to repair and replace disaster-damaged property and offers economic injury disaster loans to assist with working capital.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.