FEMA Awards $2,307,074 Grant to Will County

Main Content
Release date: 
September 18, 2012
Release Number: 
013

CHICAGO -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $2,307,074 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to Will County, Ill., for the acquisition of nineteen flood-prone homes that have been repetitively damaged from flooding.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said FEMA Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III. “The acquisition of these nineteen structures in Will County, and their removal from the floodplain, will establish a permanent open space that will reduce damages and lessen the impact of flooding on the local community.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $3,076,098 eligible project cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $769,024, will be provided by the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity.

###

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  The social media links provided are for reference only.  FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

 

 

 

Last Updated: 
September 21, 2012 - 12:38
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top