FEMA Obligates More Than $23 Million for New Orleans

Main Content
Release date: 
September 13, 2012
Release Number: 
4080-042

BATON ROUGE, La. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved  $23.2 million in Public Assistance supplemental funds to New Orleans to help pay for debris removal and the cost of emergency measures taken to protect citizens before, during and after Hurricane Isaac.

“Clearing away tons of debris is one of the first steps a community can take toward returning to business as usual and restoring peace of mind,” said Mike Hall, FEMA’s federal coordinating officer. “Removing health and safety hazards associated with debris is essential to guaranteeing the health and security of families and businesses in New Orleans.”

The four projects approved for funding are:

  • $5,966,250 to unclog drainage catch basins, replace missing signage, repair traffic signals, secure and make safe downed streetlights and restore damaged streetlights.
  • $5,947,050 to remove debris from parks and green spaces using low-impact debris- removal methods, and to remove mud, silt and sand from the right of way in catch basins and roads.
  • $9,268,012 for labor and equipment for emergency protective measures including eligible police security and patrols, street barricades, traffic control, search and rescue, and sheltering.
  • $2,081,515 for managing and monitoring debris-removal activities.

FEMA PA dollars come to Louisiana communities through a cost-sharing partnership among the state, the applicants and the federal government. FEMA reimburses applicants 75 percent of the eligible costs and the applicants pay the remaining 25 percent.

For more information on Louisiana disaster recovery, click www.fema.gov/disaster/4080 or www.gohsep.la.gov. You can follow FEMA on Twitter at www.twitter.com/femaregion6 or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FEMA. Also visit our blog at www.fema.gov/blog.

Last Updated: 
November 7, 2012 - 14:38
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top