Register for Federal Emergency Assistance Even if You Have Insurance

Main Content
Release date: 
September 6, 2012
Release Number: 

OKLAHOMA CITY – Creek County residents who sustained property damage or losses from the Aug. 3-14, 2012 wildfire are encouraged to apply for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) even if they have insurance or think they won’t qualify for assistance.

“Don't prejudge your eligibility. Call to register with FEMA now,” said State Coordinating Officer and Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM) Deputy Director Michelann Ooten.

“We are here to provide assistance for all eligible applicants,” said Federal Coordinating Officer William J. Doran III. “You may be eligible for assistance you didn’t think was available. FEMA may provide assistance that can address a person’s specific needs, not just housing.”

Federal disaster assistance may include FEMA’s grants to help pay for temporary housing, emergency home repairs or other serious disaster-related expenses, such as wells or septic tanks, medical and dental expenses or funeral and burial costs, not covered by insurance or other sources.

Also, SBA’s low-interest disaster loans are available to homeowners, renters, businesses and private nonprofits for their uncompensated physical disaster losses (homes, personal property and business assets).  For small businesses and most private nonprofits, SBA disaster loans are available to cover working capital needs caused by the disaster, whether or not the business suffered physical damage.

It is important that anyone receiving an SBA disaster loan application complete and return it. Returning the application does not obligate you to accept an SBA loan; however, it is a necessary step to be considered for other additional forms of federal disaster assistance.

To register for FEMA disaster assistance, apply online at, or web-enabled phones at or the FEMA app, or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585. If using 711 Relay or Video Relay Services, call 1-800-621-3362. FEMA phone lines are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. CT seven days a week; multilingual operators are available.

To apply for an SBA disaster loan:  After registering with FEMA, go online to SBA’s secure site at; call 1-800-659-2955 or TTY 1-800-877-7339; or visit the Disaster Recovery Center or Mobile Disaster Recovery Center.  For more information on SBA disaster assistance, go to

For more information on Oklahoma disaster recovery, click on or

Follow OEM on Twitter and Facebook at and FEMA tweets about the Oklahoma disaster are at Additional FEMA online resources include, and

Last Updated: 
November 7, 2012 - 13:40
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top