Main Content


Release date: 
August 31, 2012
Release Number: 

OKLAHOMA CITY – State and federal officials have an important message for homeowners, renters and business owners in Creek County affected by the recent wildfire: If you receive a U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loan application in your registration packet, complete and return the SBA loan application as quickly as possible.  Discarding it could be like throwing away money.

Anyone who registers with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and receives an SBA application for a low-interest disaster loan needs to submit their completed application.  SBA’s disaster loans are not just for small businesses - they are for homeowners and renters, too. Some people mistakenly assume these loans are only for small businesses; or, they choose to ignore the application because they do not think they can afford a disaster loan, or want a loan.

“Completing and returning the SBA application is an important step,” said Federal Coordinating Officer William J. Doran III. “By not completing and returning the paperwork, applicants could miss out on disaster assistance available to them, including additional FEMA grants.”

“This is the point at which people tend to take themselves out of the assistance process, but we urge everyone to complete and return this paperwork to find out what additional assistance may be available,” said State Coordinating Officer and Deputy Director of the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management Michelann Ooten.

Applicants who receive the SBA packet should fill out the application and, if questions arise, call the SBA Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955.

“SBA disaster loans are available to homeowners, renters and business owners whose property was damaged by the fire in Creek County,” said SBA’s Oklahoma District Director Dorothy Overal.  “SBA representatives are at the Disaster Recovery Center to meet one-on-one with disaster survivors, issue loan applications, and help survivors complete their applications,” Overal continued.  “No appointment is necessary.”

Disaster Recovery Center
101 Green Valley Road (next to the public library)
Mannford, OK  74044
Hours of Operation: Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. until further notice.

What you need to know:

  • Filling out the SBA loan application is necessary for homeowners and renters to be considered for other forms of disaster assistance.  If SBA is unable to approve a loan, applicants may be referred back to FEMA for some other disaster aid, including assistance to repair/replace destroyed personal items, clothing, vehicles, etc.
  • SBA disaster loan rates can be as low as 1.688 percent for homeowners and renters, 4 percent for businesses, and 3 percent for Private Nonprofit Organizations (PNPs). 
  • Terms can be up to 30 years.  SBA sets loan amounts and terms based on each applicant’s financial condition. 
  • Homeowners may borrow up to $200,000 to repair/replace their primary residences. 
  • Homeowners and renters may borrow up to $40,000 to repair/replace disaster-damaged personal property.
  • Businesses of any size and PNPs may borrow up to $2 million to repair/replace disaster-damaged business assets (i.e. real estate, machinery & equipment, and inventory). 
  • For small businesses only (including agricultural cooperatives and aquaculture businesses), and most PNPs of any size, SBA offers Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDLs) to help meet disaster-related working capital needs. 
  • EIDL assistance is available to businesses with or without property damage.

To be considered for all forms of disaster assistance, those affected by the Aug. 3-14 wildfire in Creek County should first register with FEMA online at, via web-enabled phone at or the FEMA app, or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585. If you use 711 Relay or Video Relay Services (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362. FEMA phone lines are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week; multilingual operators are available.

After registering with FEMA, applicants may apply for an SBA disaster loan online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure Web site at

SBA disaster loan information and application forms are also available from SBA’s Customer Service Center by calling 1-800-659-2955, by email at or visiting SBA’s Web site at  Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call 1-800-877-8339. 

Last Updated: 
September 1, 2012 - 15:26
State/Tribal Government or Region: