FEMA Awards $656,625 Grant to the Village of Addison

Main Content
Release date: 
May 21, 2012
Release Number: 
R5-12-007

CHICAGO, Ill. -- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today released $656,625 in Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) Program funds to the village of Addison, Ill., for the acquisition and removal of three structures along Westwood Creek that are repeatedly damaged by flooding.

“The Pre-Disaster Mitigation Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measure to reduce the risk of losing lives and property,” said FEMA Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III.  “The removal of these three structures from the floodplain will establish a permanent open space that will reduce damages and lessen the impact of flooding on the local community.” 

PDM provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures.  Through PDM, FEMA will pay $656,625, or 75 percent of the project’s total cost.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $218,875, will be provided by the village of Addison. 

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top