Million-Dollar Federal Grant To Restore Central Bradford Progress Authority Office Building

Main Content
Release date: 
April 3, 2012
Release Number: 
4025-136

HARRISBURG, Pa. - A federal grant of more than $1.05 million has been approved to restore the Towanda headquarters of the Central Bradford Progress Authority, announced the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The structure, at One Progress Plaza, Elizabeth Street, Towanda, houses the economic development agency that serves Bradford and Susquehanna counties.  Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee flooded the building with more than five and one-half feet of water.

The grant represents a 75 percent federal share of the project cost, which totals $1,405,206.  The remaining 25 percent will be paid by the Commonwealth. 

Under FEMA's Public Assistance (PA) Program, funding is provided to the Commonwealth, eligible local governments, and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis.

FEMA is responsible for managing the program, approving grants, and providing technical assistance to the Commonwealth and applicants. The Commonwealth educates potential applicants, works with FEMA to manage the program, and is responsible for implementing and monitoring the grants awarded under the program. Local officials are responsible for identifying damage, providing information necessary for FEMA to approve grants, and managing each project funded under the program.

More information on FEMA's PA program is available at www.fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit.

To date, more than $35 million has been obligated to the Commonwealth by FEMA under the federal PA program.  There are an estimated 1,700 applicants; assistance is expected to top $200 million.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.                                              

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top