Public Assistance - Rebuilding Communities After a Disaster

Main Content
Release date: 
March 30, 2012
Release Number: 
4055-002

SALEM, Ore. -- Once the January 2012 storms were over and floodwaters receded, Oregon faced a massive--and expensive--cleanup and rebuilding process.

Much of that work falls to local governments. They must marshal first responders during a disaster, clear out tons of debris, and repair and rebuild damaged public property.

After a major disaster declaration, the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Public Assistance (PA) program is available to help. PA dollars benefit everyone.

PA money can be used to clean up the community, repair bridges, put water systems and utilities back in order, rebuild libraries and replace damaged books, repair hospitals and emergency services, rebuild schools and universities, and restore damaged public parks so that families can enjoy them again.

“FEMA Public Assistance dollars come to the community through a partnership between the state, local authorities and the federal government,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Dolph Diemont.

 “FEMA pays up 75 percent of the eligible cost of putting a community back on its feet. The applicant is responsible for the remaining 25 percent,” said Oregon’s State Coordinating Officer Paulina Layton. 

Public Assistance is available to state government agencies, local and county governments, and private nonprofit organizations that own or operate facilities that provide essential government-type services.

Twelve Oregon counties recently were designated eligible to receive all categories of public assistance: Benton, Columbia, Coos, Curry, Douglas, Hood River, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Polk and Tillamook.  

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top