Kentucky Private Sector, Louisville Shelter, UPS Send Pet Food to Hard Hit Areas

Main Content
Release date: 
March 28, 2012
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- In order to help feed displaced animals following the Kentucky tornadoes, Kentucky Emergency Management’s Private Sector facilitated an arrangement between the Kentucky Department of Public Health, No Kill Louisville and United Parcel Service to deliver 35,000 pounds of pet food to two locations in the hard hit eastern Kentucky counties. Twenty pallets of pet food were delivered to Paintsville and 10 pallets to London.

The donated pet food will be disbursed to local shelters where animal populations have increased and supplies are low since the tornadoes.  The Humane Society of the U.S. has established an emergency pet shelter for displaced animals in Laurel County.

Pets and livestock are often separated from their owners after a storm or tornado has damaged or destroyed a family’s home and forced the pet owners to move to temporary living quarters, sometimes a good distance from the place the animal knows as home.

The destruction of many barns and stable buildings in Johnson County left dozens of horses running loose and without shelter. Sources in Johnson County report 400 to 500 displaced animals in that county alone.

Kentucky Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management agency urge pet owners to make sure they have included their pets in a family disaster plan.   Many facilities which shelter people will not accept pets, so having a place to locate family animals as part of pre disaster planning may alleviate worry and stress if the family has to leave their home because of disaster conditions of damage.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top