Main Content

Counseling Can Help Releive Stress From the Storms

Main Content
Release date: 
March 28, 2012
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Stress can surface in many forms and often appears weeks or months after a traumatic event, mental health experts say. Stress reactions to a disaster may include anger, fatigue, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, nightmares, depression, inability to concentrate, hyperactivity and/or increased alcohol or drug use.

People of all ages may exhibit these symptoms but children and older adults are of special concern in the aftermath of disasters.

Children can be especially vulnerable to disaster-related stress effects from interruption of daily routines and loss of stability the home environment provides.

Symptoms of disaster trauma in children can include excessive fear of the dark, crying, fear of being alone and constant worry. Even second-hand exposure to the disaster through extensive media coverage can take an emotional toll.

Free crisis counseling, supported by a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency is available to Kentuckians who suffer from stress, anxiety or depression as a result of the recent storms and flooding.

Individuals or families who need help should not hesitate to call the following numbers for assistance:

  • If you live in Johnson, Magoffin, or Martin County call 800-422-1060;
  • If you live in Bath, Lawrence, Menifee, Montgomery, Morgan, Rowan, or Wolfe County call 800-562-8909;
  • If you live in Campbell, Carroll, Grant, Kenton, or Pendleton County call 859-331-3292;
  • If you live in Laurel County call 888-640-9335.

The other five counties designated for Individual Assistance chose not to participate in the program.

This information is provided by The Commonwealth of Kentucky Community Crisis Response Board staff.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top