Tell Your Neighbor to Register with FEMA

Main Content
Release date: 
March 26, 2012
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- If you are one of the over 4,000 Kentuckians who have registered for disaster assistance with FEMA, you may have a family member, a neighbor or just know someone who has not applied for help.

Getting assistance to everyone in the Commonwealth who is eligible is the reason the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Kentucky Emergency Management and the U.S. Small Business Administration officials have begun a “Tell Your Neighbor” campaign.

Individuals and households affected by the severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and flooding of Feb 29 through March 2 should apply for assistance as soon as possible by calling the toll-free registration number at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Speech- or hearing-impaired individuals may call TTY 800-462-7585. Individuals also can apply for disaster assistance online at

“We are enlisting the help of area residents to make sure no one is missing a chance to apply for help,” said Libby Turner, federal officer in charge of Kentucky recovery. “Tell Your Neighbor” is a coordinated effort to make sure communities and residents get their recovery underway and no one is left behind.”

Disaster officials encourage Kentucky survivors to tell their friends, family and neighbors who may be hesitant to register for disaster assistance.

Important aspects of “Tell Your Neighbor” are the need to register for assistance with FEMA and the importance of returning SBA loan applications, even though individuals may not want or need a loan from SBA. Completion of the SBA loan application may open the door to FEMA grants and other forms of assistance available to eligible residents. An insurance claim does not have to be settled to complete and submit an SBA loan application.

It is also important your friends and neighbors know they should register with FEMA for assistance even though they have insurance, because insurance may not meet all their needs, and a low-interest loan from the SBA may fill the gap to more fully recover from damage to your home.

Disaster assistance is not charity. Disaster assistance grants come from federal taxpayer money Congress specifically sets aside for that purpose. The assistance one individual may receive will not take away from another applicant's federal assistance funds.

FEMA Housing Assistance in the form of grants may include rental assistance, home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance. Other Needs Assistance grants may be available to replace personal property and help meet medical, dental, transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable aid programs.

SBA disaster loans help homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private nonprofit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property and business assets. These loans may cover insurance deductibles, code required upgrades and other costs not compensated for by insurance or other sources.

For more information about SBA, call the SBA Customer Service Center from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EDT) Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EDT), Saturday, at 800-659-2955 for information and assistance. Victims may apply online at Applicants also may visit the SBA Web site at or e-mail

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or some...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top