Tornado Survivors Should Visit a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center

Main Content
Release date: 
March 25, 2012
Release Number: 

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- If you were affected by the Feb. 29 to March 2 tornadoes and have questions, get help by visiting a disaster recovery center.

Nine disaster recovery centers are currently open in Tennessee and staffed with recovery specialists from Tennessee state agencies, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. Small Business Administration and other agencies.

By visiting one of the centers, you can:

  • Apply for disaster assistance with FEMA.
  • Learn about federal assistance available for temporary housing and home repairs.
  • Check on the progress of an application you’ve already submitted.
  • Get information on how to replace lost documents.
  • Ask questions regarding correspondence from FEMA.
  • Find out more about SBA’s low-interest disaster loans or what to do if you can’t afford one.
  • Get help completing your SBA loan application.
  • Learn more about local and state agencies that may be able to provide assistance.

Locations of disaster recovery centers can be found at Or use your smartphone or tablet to access

You can also get help by calling FEMA’s helpline 800-621-FEMA (3362) (v/relay) about how to register for disaster assistance or where to find a disaster recovery center. Operators are multilingual and available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. For those who are deaf or hard of hearing, there is a TTY line at 800-462-7585.

Other ways to register include:

Remember when registering, by any method, you should provide good contact information – such as a cellphone or work number.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top