Main Content

Storm Survivors Whose Property is Insured May Qualify for Federal Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
March 17, 2012
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Kentuckians who are survivors of the severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and flooding that occurred Feb. 29 through March 3 should apply now for federal assistance, even if their damaged property is insured.

FEMA assistance may include temporary housing assistance, uninsured personal property losses and medical, dental and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, along with other disaster-related expenses and serious needs for eligible applicants. Low-interest SBA disaster loans to qualified applicants also may cover residential and business losses not covered by insurance.

Assistance is available in the form of grants for temporary housing, basic home repairs, other serious disaster-related needs and low-interest disaster loans.

Survivors who have suffered losses to their insured property do not have to wait for an inspection by their insurance company before they register with FEMA.? Once the damaged or destroyed property is inspected by the insurance carrier, survivors should contact FEMA and update their application. This is especially important if the survivor has received a determination letter denying the survivor’s application for FEMA assistance due to insurance reasons.

In order for homeowners and business owners whose property is insured to qualify for help through the Federal Emergency Management Agency, they must register. Registration is available online at or by phone at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Operators speak many languages. Disaster applicants who use TTY should call 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) should call 800-621-3362.

The toll-free FEMA registration numbers are available seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time.? The registration process takes approximately 15 to 30 minutes.

Survivors also can apply for federal assistance directly through Web-enabled mobile phone devices, or smartphones. Registration through the mobile site takes three steps:

  1. Go to and click “Apply Online for FEMA Assistance.” You will be directed to;
  2. Click on Start Registration; and
  3. Fill out the registration form.

FEMA will ask for the following information so survivors should have this information handy when they begin the registration process:

  • The telephone number where applicants can be reached;
  • The address where applicants lived at the time of the disaster and the address where they currently are staying;
  • Their Social Security number;
  • A general description of damage to property and other losses;
  • The name of the insurance company and policy number or agent if the property is insured; and
  • Bank account and bank routing information for direct deposit of funds.

People whose property suffered any storm damage also are encouraged to document damage with photographs and to save repair receipts. Damage should be reported to the survivor’s insurance company as well as to the local emergency management agency.

Many documents may have been destroyed by the storms and tornadoes. Property owners will eventually need to provide proof of ownership. Those who have lost documents should visit their tax office Property Valuation Administrator to obtain documentation of ownership. This may eliminate long delays in receiving eligible FEMA funds.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someo...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top