Perry County Designated for Federal Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
February 8, 2012
Release Number: 

PELHAM, Ala. -- According to the Alabama Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Perry County has been designated for federal disaster assistance for individuals, households and businesses as part of Alabama’s federal disaster declaration for the storms and tornadoes that struck the state Jan. 22-23. Chilton and Jefferson counties were previously designated for federal assistance.

Individual assistance for homeowners and renters can include grants to help pay for rental housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses not met by insurance or other assistance programs. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration are also available to cover residential and business losses not fully covered by insurance.

After additional information was gathered, it was determined that Perry County is eligible for federal assistance.

Affected survivors and business owners in Chilton, Jefferson and Perry counties may apply for assistance by calling FEMA’s toll-free registration number, 800-621-FEMA (3362). The registration lines are available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., local time.

Survivors who have a speech disability or hearing loss can call the TTY line at 800-462-7585 directly; if they use 711 or Video Relay Service, they can call 800-621-3362. 

An application may be completed online by going to Or register with your tablet or smartphone with the FEMA app or by visiting

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top