CHICAGO, Ill. -- The holidays are just around the corner and for those still looking for the perfect gift, consider giving the gift of preparedness. Emergency supplies for a disaster supply kit are a great addition to any holiday list, since many of the items are low-cost and easy to find. Best of all, disaster kit supplies can go a long way toward protecting your friends and families for any emergency.
To learn more about disaster preparedness, go to www.Ready.gov, where you can find information on how to build a disaster kit, how to get your family prepared and how to stay informed during and after emergencies.
Great holiday gifts that could be included in an emergency supply kit:
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Fire extinguisher and fire escape ladder
- Enrollment in a CPR or first aid class
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children if the power goes out.
This year, consider at least one of these gift ideas. You just may save the life of a friend or family member. For more information, preparedness tips, and other gift ideas, please visit www.Ready.gov and www.FEMA.gov.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.