FEMA Obligates $1 Million for Northwest Missouri

Main Content
Release date: 
December 9, 2011
Release Number: 
4012-044

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency Public Assistance program has obligated $1 million to the state of Missouri for reimbursements of disaster related expenses and damage in local communities caused by flooding in Northwest Missouri between June 1 through Aug. 1, 2011. 

The Public Assistance program provides grants to reimburse for seven categories that may be eligible for assistance under the Public Assistance program including:

  • debris removal including the removal of material such as sediment, fallen trees, building remnants or other types of items that present a threat to life, health and safety, or property;
  • emergency protective measures such as action taken before, during, or after a disaster to eliminate or reduce an immediate threat to life, public health or safety, or to prevent damage to improved property;
  • roads and bridges including surface restoration, replacement of lost material or gravel, repair or replacement of damaged or destroyed culverts, roadway ditch restoration, and subgrade repairs;
  • water control facilities such as water channels, pumping facilities, irrigation facilities, levees, dams and other flood control works;
  • public buildings and equipment such as city halls, county courthouses, schools and hospitals, also including the contents of those buildings; police and fire vehicles and heavy repair equipment;
  • public utilities including electrical, water treatment, sewer, rural electric cooperatives, city sewer lines, water and sewer treatment plants or telecommunication systems; and
  • recreational facilities including the repair or replacement of publically owned, operated, and maintained park facilities, playgrounds, or appropriately engineered beach facilities.

The state of Missouri manages the Public Assistance program.  FEMA provides a minimum of 75 percent of Public Assistance funding.  The other 25 percent comes from non federal sources. FEMA sends the funds to the state and the state pays the local applicants.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and covers the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585; or use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) to call 1-800-621-3362.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: