FEMA Public Assistance Reaches More Than $21 Million

Main Content
Release date: 
December 2, 2011
Release Number: 
1980-199

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- The state of Missouri, Federal Emergency Management Agency Public Assistance program has obligated $23,062,105 to the state of Missouri for reimbursements of disaster-related expenses and damage in local communities caused by severe storms, tornados and flooding April 19 through June 6, 2011.

The Public Assistance program provides grants to reimburse disaster related emergency protective measures, debris removal and repair or restoration of disaster damaged infrastructure.

 “This is crucial to the recovery effort since many small or rural communities do not have the funds for these projects,” Federal Coordinating Officer Steve Thompson said.

Of the sum, more than $1.5 million has been obligated to aid communities in debris removal.  This includes the removal of material such as sediment, fallen trees, building remnants or other types of items that present a threat to life, health and safety, or property.   

More than $5 million has been obligated for emergency protective measures, which includes any action taken before, during, or after a disaster to eliminate or reduce an immediate threat to life, public health or safety, or to prevent damage to improved property.  Such activities generally include sandbagging of levees, search and rescue operations, sheltering and evacuation of disaster impacted personnel and generator rental.

Roads and bridges accounted for $8.6 million. Repair of road and bridge facilities includes surface restoration, replacement of lost material or gravel, repair or replacement of damaged or destroyed culverts, roadway ditch restoration, and subgrade repairs. 

Repair and replacement of water control facilities such as water channels, pumping facilities, irrigation facilities, levees, dams and other flood control works accounted for $123,605 of the total.

Public buildings were obligated just short of $3 million for the repair or replacement of public buildings such as city halls, county courthouses, schools and hospitals, also including the contents of those buildings.  Additionally, public equipment such as police and fire vehicles, heavy repair equipment and other such items could also be eligible for FEMA funding.  Buildings and equipment are often subject to insurance payouts FEMA can only fund uninsured costs, or the insurance deductible itself.  This is to prevent a duplication of benefits from occurring.

Another $3.7 million was obligated to public utilities: the repair or replacement of electrical, water treatment, sewer, and other related utility type facilities.  This category could include rural electric cooperatives, city sewer lines, water and sewer treatment plants or telecommunication systems.

Funding for recreational facilities has reached $675,639 and includes the repair or replacement of publically owned, operated, and maintained park facilities. City, county and state parks, playgrounds, and appropriately engineered and designed beach facilities may all be included. 

Public Assistance was granted to 258 eligible applicants. 

The state of Missouri manages the Public Assistance program.  FEMA provides a minimum of 75 percent of Public Assistance funding.  The other 25 percent comes from non federal sources.  FEMA sends the funds to the state and the state pays the local applicants.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top