Webinar Offers Advice on Securing Wildfire Mitigation Grants

Main Content
Release date: 
November 14, 2011
Release Number: 
4029-078

AUSTIN, Texas -- Although the record-setting, triple-digit temperatures are gone for now, Texas remains bone dry and extremely susceptible to wildfires. With that somber outlook in mind, the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) is offering another webinar this week to help local emergency managers and others learn what it takes to get federal grants to mitigate against wildfires.

From the comfort of their own offices, state, county and city officials, emergency management coordinators and grant managers can join the free webinar on Wednesday or Thursday to get expert advice on securing grants that can fund effective and life-saving wildfire mitigation projects.

The state-administered grants are available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP).

The 90-minute webinar, to be presented at 10 a.m. both days, is similar to the webinar presented in late October, but will feature a guest speaker from the Texas Forest Service. The event will include information on deadlines and tips on developing projects and submitting grant-winning plans. Participants will have an opportunity to ask questions at the end of the presentation.

“Mitigation is a ten-dollar word for a billion-dollar need,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Kevin L. Hannes of FEMA. “We want to encourage Texans to think of creative ideas for wildfire mitigation projects that will cultivate safer and stronger communities.”

HMGP funding is available throughout Texas as a result of the major disaster declaration for the Texas wildfires. The state and FEMA will give priority to wildfire mitigation projects that reduce or eliminate long-term risk from the threat of future fires. However, other plans outlining effective mitigation projects that foster safer communities will also be considered.

All applications for HMGP grants must be submitted by March 23, 2012.

To join Wednesday’s webinar, go to txdps.webex.com/txdps/j.php?ED=13630148&UID=38380463&PW=NMzQ1ODZkZmE4&RT=MiM3 and enter the following information.
Meeting Number: 494 955 709
Password: TDEM

To join Thursday’s webinar, go to txdps.webex.com/txdps/j.php?ED=13630398&UID=38381403&PW=NZjUzYjkxYWQ2&RT=MiM3 and enter the following information.
Meeting Number: 492 523 637
Password: TDEM

FEMA provides cost-share grants to states and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures after a major disaster declaration. The purpose of the HMGP is to reduce the loss of life and property due to natural disaster. FEMA funds 75 percent of a project’s cost, while the state or applicant covers the remaining 25 percent.

For more information about FEMA's mitigation grant program, visit www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-grant-program-hmgp. To read first-hand experiences about successful mitigation projects and practices, go to www.fema.gov/mitigation-best-practices-portfolio.

Follow FEMA tweets about the Texas disaster at www.twitter.com/femaregion6. Other online resources are blog.fema.gov, www.facebook.com/fema and www.youtube.com/fema.

FEMA’s mission is to support o...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top