Main Content

College Students May Be Eligible for Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
November 4, 2011
Release Number: 

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Students who attend North Carolina colleges or universities in areas impacted by Hurricane Irene may be eligible for federal disaster assistance.

Their permanent residence does not need to be in any of the 38 designated counties to be eligible for assistance. However, property damages or losses must have occurred in the impacted areas.

State and federal emergency management officials encourage students who sustained property damages or losses to apply for federal disaster assistance. Property damages or losses that may be eligible for repair or replacement include personal vehicles, clothing, text books and school supplies.

Students may apply for assistance by any of the following ways:

  • Calling FEMA’s toll-free registration number, 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY at 800-462-7585. Multilingual operators are available.
  • Online by going to
  • Using a tablet or smartphone go to

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: