Renters Should Register for Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
October 26, 2011
Release Number: 

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Renters who lost their place to live and personal property because of Hurricane Irene’s impact in North Carolina may be eligible for state and Federal Emergency Management Agency disaster grants to help them recover from the storm.

The only way to find out what help is available is to call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) or go online at Smartphone and tablet users can connect at

The registration deadline has been extended to Nov. 30.

One type of grant may cover the cost of temporary housing if a renter has to move to another place. Grants also may be available to replace personal property.

Those who register with FEMA may get a disaster loan application from the U.S. Small Business Administration. The next step in the process is to fill it out and return it to SBA. If an applicant does not qualify for a loan, other FEMA financial assistance may be available.

Renters may borrow up to $40,000 to replace damaged or destroyed personal property.  Survivors are not required to borrow money.

Renters who need help locating a place to live can get information by calling FEMA at 800-621-3362 and pressing the helpline option. Computers can go to and click on “3 Step Guide for Assistance,” then scroll down and click on “Housing Portal.”

Crisis counseling and free legal aid to help with disaster-related questions, such as landlord/tenant disputes, also are available under the Hurricane Irene declaration.

To insure against future losses, renters may obtain flood insurance for contents. Information is available from insurance agents or the National Flood Insurance Program by phone toll-free at 888-379-9531 or online at

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top