Webinar Provides Tips On Securing Mitigation Grants

Main Content
Release date: 
October 25, 2011
Release Number: 
4029-061

AUSTIN, Texas -- Good mitigation projects take planning and preparation.

That is just one of the many important tips to be offered this week at a free webinar for state agencies, local governments and private nonprofit groups interested in applying for mitigation grants funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

From the comfort of their own offices, state, county and city officials, emergency management coordinators and grant managers can get expert advice on FEMA’s state-administered Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) from Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) mitigation specialists.

The 90-minute webinar, which begins at 10 a.m. Thursday, will include information on deadlines and tips on developing projects and submitting grant-winning plans. The webinar includes an opportunity for participants to ask questions at the end of the presentation.

“This webinar is an excellent and easy way to share important information on mitigation grants in a live and interactive online environment,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Kevin L. Hannes of FEMA. “Since this is a state-run program, participants will get the facts directly from the source.”

HMGP funding is available throughout Texas as a result of the major disaster declaration for the Texas wildfires. The state and FEMA will give priority to wildfire mitigation projects that reduce or eliminate long-term risk from the threat of future fires. Other plans outlining effective and life-saving mitigation projects that foster safer communities will also be considered.

All applications for HMGP grants must be submitted by March 23, 2012.

State, county and city officials, emergency management coordinators and grant managers interested in joining the webinar should go to the Texas Department of Public Safety website at txdps.webex.com/txdps/j.php?ED=169184302&UID=1307435467&PW=NNTMyYWE4ZTE5&RT=MiM3 and enter the following information:
Meeting Number: 925 050 232
Password: TDEM

FEMA provides cost-share grants to states and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures after a major disaster declaration. The purpose of the HMGP is to reduce the loss of life and property due to natural disasters and to enable mitigation measures to be implemented during the immediate recovery from a disaster. FEMA funds 75 percent of a project’s cost, while the state or applicant covers the remaining 25 percent.

For more information about FEMA's mitigation grant program, visit www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-grant-program-hmgp. To read first-hand experiences about successful mitigation projects and practices, go to www.fema.gov/mitigation-best-practices-portfolio.

Follow FEMA tweets about the Texas disaster at www.twitter.com/femaregion6. Other online resources are blog.fema.gov, www.facebook.com/fema and www.youtube.com/fema.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top