Check With Your Local Permitting Office Before You Rebuild

Main Content
Release date: 
October 18, 2011
Release Number: 

WESTFIELD, Mass. -- Before beginning new construction or repairs to property damaged by Tropical Storm Irene, Massachusetts residents are encouraged to consult with their local building officials to get any required permits.

“Obtaining building permits may be a necessary step for those with homes or businesses damaged from the storms,” said State Coordinating Officer Kurt Schwartz of the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency. “Residents who are rebuilding need to know that building permits are based on local codes and ordinances that are enforced by the individual’s community.”

Permits may be required for work repairing or replacing the roof, walls, siding, wallboard, plaster, insulation, paneling, cabinets, flooring, electrical system, plumbing and heating/air conditioning systems. Renovation projects must meet community building codes and ordinances.

  • Permits assure residents and communities that all proposed work complies with current codes, standards and recommended construction techniques;
  • Local permit offices can provide suggestions and information on how to protect homes or businesses from future disaster-related damages; and
  • Permit offices may also provide consumers with information on selecting licensed contractors and with advice on protecting themselves from unscrupulous contractors.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top