Three Weeks Left to Register for Federal Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
October 13, 2011
Release Number: 

WESTFIELD, Mass. -- Individuals and business owners in Berkshire and Franklin counties have three weeks left to register for disaster help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

The deadline for residents to apply for disaster assistance for damages or losses caused by Tropical Storm Irene’s flooding from August 27 through 29 is 10 p.m. on Wednesday, November 2, 2011.

“We don’t want people eligible for disaster assistance to miss out because they failed to meet the application deadline,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Mark H. Landry  “If you live in either county declared eligible for disaster assistance, don’t put off registering with FEMA, even if you have not yet received your insurance settlement. If insurance does not fully cover your disaster losses, FEMA may be able to make up at least part of the difference.”

A toll-free helpline is available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day through Nov. 2 to take registrations. Call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Individuals with a hearing or speech disability can call (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Individuals and business owners also can register for help online at or with a mobile device, such as a smart phone, at

Federal recovery aid to residents can include:

  • grants for emergency disaster housing and essential repairs;
  • grants for necessities not covered by insurance or other sources; and
  • low interest disaster loans from the SBA.

People who have registered with the American Red Cross or other volunteer and civic agencies also must register with FEMA in order to be considered for federal disaster assistance.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top