Federal Assistance for Infrastructure Approved in Five More Texas Counties

Main Content
Release date: 
October 4, 2011
Release Number: 
4029-035

AUSTIN, Texas -- Federal disaster assistance has been extended again as a result of wildfires that burned through drought-stricken Texas on or after Aug. 30, the Texas Division of Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said Tuesday.

The latest amendment to the Sept. 9 presidential disaster declaration for the wildfires adds five more counties -- Cherokee, Gregg, Harrison, Houston and Rusk -- to the list of four already set to receive federal aid under FEMA’s Public Assistance (PA) program. The other counties are Bastrop, Colorado, Leon and Walker.

The PA program helps reimburse applicants for the cost of removing disaster-related debris from public rights of way, and for measures taken by state and local emergency responders to protect lives and property before, during and after the disaster. The program also helps defray the cost of repairing roads, public buildings, utilities, schools and other public infrastructure damaged or destroyed as a result of the wildfires.

Supplementary funding under the PA program goes to the state, state agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations. Under the program, FEMA obligates funds to the state for 75 percent of eligible costs, while the state or applicant covers the remaining 25 percent. The state then forwards the funds to the eligible local governments or organizations that incurred costs.

More information about the PA program can be found at www.fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top