Main Content

Renters With Flood Damage May Be Eligible for FEMA Help

Main Content
Release date: 
September 29, 2011
Release Number: 

CONCORD, N.H. – Renters who suffered flood damage from Tropical Storm Irene between Aug. 26 and Sept. 6 may be eligible for recovery assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Homeownership is not a requirement for FEMA help.

Under FEMA’s Housing Assistance program, both homeowners and renters who are displaced from their homes may be eligible for rental assistance grants. Immediate hotel/motel lodging may be covered, as well as longer term rental while the original home or rented quarters is repaired, or they move into replacement housing.

Both renters and homeowners also may qualify for a grant under FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program for essential personal property and to meet medical, dental, funeral and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state or charitable-aid programs.

Renters and homeowners also may qualify for a low-interest, long-term disaster assistance loan of up to $40,000 from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) to replace lost or damaged personal property. 

The first step is to register with FEMA for assistance. Call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362. If you use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly. If you use 711-Relay or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362 or online at

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: