13 Counties and 4 Independent Cities Added for Public Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
September 10, 2011
Release Number: 
4024-001

MIDLOTHIAN, Va. -- Thirteen additional counties and four independent cities have been designated for federal disaster assistance to help local governments along with select private non-profit facilities recover from Hurricane Irene.

Accomack, Caroline, Charles City, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Henrico, King George, King and Queen, King William, Mathews, Northumberland, Prince George and Surry counties along with the independent cities of Colonial Heights, Franklin, Petersburg and Richmond are the latest jurisdictions eligible for help under the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Public Assistance program.

Counties previously designated for Public Assistance include Essex, Isle of Wight, James City, Lancaster, Middlesex, New Kent, Richmond, Southampton, Sussex, Westmoreland, and York and the independent cities of Chesapeake, Emporia, Hampton, Hopewell, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, and Williamsburg.

Public Assistance is a cost-share reimbursement program which includes:

  • Debris removal
  • Emergency protective measures
  • Road systems and bridges
  • Water control facilities
  • Public buildings and contents
  • Public utilities
  • Parks and recreation

The Public Assistance program is open to state, local and tribal government agencies and certain private nonprofit organizations. Examples of eligible private nonprofit facilities are electric and water utilities, custodial care and medical organizations, and educational institutions.

Typically, the federal share of total eligible costs is 75 percent with state and local agencies paying the remaining 25%.

The Commonwealth of Virginia has not yet requested federal assistance for individuals or businesses. Joint PDAs in the Commonwealth continue and the information we collect can be used by Governor McDonnell to determine if the extent of the damage to personal property is beyond local and state capabilities.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top