Main Content

Recovery Center Opens at Waterbury Fire Department

Main Content
Release date: 
September 6, 2011
Release Number: 

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- Vermonters may now visit a disaster recovery center in Waterbury to get disaster assistance information related to Tropical Storm Irene.

The recovery centers are staffed with disaster recovery specialists from various federal, state and local agencies and organizations who can answer questions face-to-face.

The new center is located at:

Waterbury Fire Department
43 South Main Street
Waterbury, VT 05676

This brings the total of recovery centers to three. Other locations are:

Barre Municipal Auditorium
16 Auditorium Hill
Barre, VT 05641

Living Memorial Park Skating Rink
61 Memorial Park Drive
Brattleboro, VT 05301

The centers operate from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

Disaster officials encourage those affected by the storms to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency before visiting a DRC by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362), online at or via a web-enabled mobile device at Multilingual registration assistance is available. Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY can call 800-462-7585 directly; or call 800-621-3362 if using 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS).


Once someone is registered, staff at a recovery center can quickly review and update applicant information and provide specific answers to individual questions and concerns. Vermont homeowners and renters interested in low-interest disaster loans can also speak with a representative from the U.S. Small Business Administration. Specialists at the recovery centers can also identify possible help from voluntary agencies or provide disaster-related information to reduce future damage risks.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585; or call 800-621-3362 if using 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS).

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

SBA disaster loan information and application forms may be obtained by calling the SBA's Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for people with speech or hearing disabilities) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET or by sending an e-mail to Applications can also be downloaded from or completed on-line at

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.


Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top