Don't Put Off Calling FEMA to Register for Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
September 6, 2011
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Those in Bell, Perry and Knox counties who had damages from the June 19-23 tornadoes and flooding are urged to register for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

FEMA's individual assistance offers grants, which do not need to be repaid, for personal property losses and serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other assistance programs. Renters also may apply.

"Even if you have insurance you should register, especially if you have losses that were not covered," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer W. M. Moore.

Registering with FEMA is easy and quick. There are several ways to register:

  • By phone, call 800-621-FEMA (3362) from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. For speech or hearing impaired, the number is TTY 800-462-7585.Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362. Operators are multilingual, and lines are open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week until further notice.
  • By computer, register at
  • By smartphone or tablet, use
  • FEMA's App for android phones can be downloaded at
  • By visiting a disaster recovery center.

"I encourage anyone affected by this disaster to visit a disaster recovery center after you register," said Brig. Gen. John Heltzel, commonwealth coordinating officer for Kentucky. "At the center you can get your questions answered about FEMA assistance and learn about other programs that can help you get back on your feet."

To assist disaster survivors, two recovery centers are now open where survivors can meet with FEMA and SBA representatives face-to-face and have their questions answered. Those centers are:

Bell County
1321 North 25th Street
Middlesboro, KY 40965

Perry County
Senior Citizens Center
354 Perry Park Road
Hazard, KY 41701

Some who register with FEMA may receive a loan application package from the U.S. Small Business Administration. The SBA provides low-interest loans to cover residential and business losses not covered by insurance. Applicants should return the completed form because it can lead to other types of assistance. However, they are not required to accept a loan.

Additional information about this disaster is available at and

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top