FEMA Emergency Funds Authorized

Main Content
Release date: 
August 24, 2011
Release Number: 
3326-002

SAN JUAN, PR -- The emergency declaration signed by President Obama on August, 22, 2011, authorizes the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to coordinate, along with State and local officials, all disaster relief efforts and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures in the area struck by Hurricane Irene on August 21, 2011, and continuing.

"The efforts to save lives, protect property, public health and safety in which first responders have been working during this emergency, as well as other emergency protective activities such as municipal shelter operations, may be eligible for federal reimbursement," said FEMA's Federal Coordinating Officer Justo Hernandez. "This is an ongoing event and we are evaluating every situation occurring to provide the support the local governments may need."

FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. The emergency declaration provides federal funds to reimburse 75 percent of the costs for conducting protective measures undertaken during the emergency. The state agency contributes the remaining 25 percent.

FEMA officials reiterate its compromise to support State and local governments during the emergency and urge residents in vulnerable areas to remain aware of hazardous situations due to continuing severe weather events. Listen to local officials and follow their instructions.

Local residents can visit Ready.gov/hurricanes or Listo.gov for tips on emergency planning and getting an emergency kit.

FEMA's mission to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top