FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers Open in Great Falls and Fort Belknap

Main Content
Release date: 
August 22, 2011
Release Number: 

HELENA, Mont. -- A state and federal disaster recovery center is opening in Great Falls and another in Fort Belknap Agency to assist individuals and businesses that were affected by the storms and flooding this spring. Centers are staffed with disaster recovery specialists who can provide information and answer questions about flood-related assistance.

"Residents of Great Falls and outlying areas were greatly affected by flooding due to higher than average snowpack and spring storms," said Montana Disaster and Emergency Services Administrator Ed Tinsley. "Governor Schweitzer encourages all residents who were affected to register with FEMA, and if you need assistance to visit the Recovery Center."

The Great Falls disaster recovery center opens at 1 p.m. until 7 p.m. on Wednesday, August 24. It will be open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday and Friday. The Fort Belknap center opens at 1 p.m. until 7 p.m. on Friday, August 26. It will be open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. through Sunday and then relocate to the Kills at Night Recreation Center in Hays.

The Great Falls Center is located at:
Montana Expo Park
4 Seasons Arena, Foyer
400 3rd Street NW
Great Falls

The Fort Belknap Center is located at:
Small Business Development Center
Fort Belknap Community College
207 E Food Farm Ave
Fort Belknap Agency

Yellowstone County
Faith Chapel Church
517 Shiloh Rd
Tuesday Aug. 23, 9 am-7pm
Final Day:
Wednesday Aug. 24, 9 am-7pm

Valley County
Glasgow Event Center
54141 Hwy 2
Monday - Saturday 9 am-7 pm
Closed Sundays
Final Day: Friday, Aug. 26

Lewis & Clark County
City/County Building
Training Center
316 N. Park Ave, Room 106
Helena, MT
Daily 9 am-7pm

Homeowners, renters and businesses, whether insured or not, should register with FEMA by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or going online at DisasterAssistance.gov.  Registration by mobile device is also available at m.fema.gov.  Multilingual registration can be done by phone.  If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585.

"Disaster recovery centers are a great resource to residents who have questions about flood-related assistance. I strongly encourage those affected by the flooding to make registering with FEMA a priority," FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Doug Mayne said. "Even if you registered with your county office, you are not registered with FEMA. The only way to register is to call or go online."

FEMA provides temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation, medical and dental costs and funeral and burial expenses. By registering, individuals will also receive an application for a low-interest loan from the Small Business Administration. No one is required to take a loan from the SBA, but loan applications must be submitted to be eligible for the full range of assistance available from FEMA.

Customer services representatives from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will be at disaster centers to answer any questions about the SBA's low-interest disaster loan program for homeowners, renters, businesses and private non-profit organizations of all sizes. These loans are to repair or replace real estate and/or personal property damaged by the storms and flooding. There is no cost to apply for an SBA loan.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government's primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs and rebuilding efforts, and...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top