Main Content

FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Opens in Helena

Main Content
Release date: 
August 19, 2011
Release Number: 

HELENA, Mont. -- A state and federal disaster recovery center is opening in Helena to assist individuals and businesses that were affected by the storms and flooding this spring in Lewis and Clark and surrounding counties.

The Helena disaster recovery center opens at 1 p.m. on Monday, August 22 and will be staffed with disaster recovery specialists who can provide information and answer questions about flood-related assistance. The center will be open Monday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

The Helena Center is located at:
City/ County Building
316 N Park Ave, Room 106
Helena, MT

Valley County
Glasgow Event Center
54141 Hwy 2
Monday - Saturday 9 am-7 pm
Closed Sundays

Missoula County
Missoula Emergency Services
Training Center
1220 Burlington Ave
Saturday 9 am-7pm
Sunday 9 am-7pm
Final Day: Monday 9 am-7pm

Yellowstone County
Faith Chapel Church
517 Shiloh Rd
Friday 1 pm-7p.m.
Saturday 9am-noon
Sunday Closed
Monday 9 am-7pm
Tuesday 9 am-7pm
Final Day: Wednesday 9 am-7pm

"Residents of the Helena valley and outlying areas were greatly affected by flooding due to high runoff this spring," said Montana Disaster and Emergency Services Administrator Ed Tinsley. "Governor Schweitzer encourages all residents who were affected to register with FEMA, and if you need assistance to visit the Recovery Center."

Homeowners, renters and businesses, whether insured or not, should register with FEMA by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or going online at Registration by mobile device is also available at Multilingual registration can be done by phone. If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 TTY directly.

"Disaster recovery centers are a great resource to residents who have questions about flood-related assistance," FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Doug Mayne said.

"I strongly encourage those affected by the flooding to make registering with FEMA a priority. Even if you registered with your county office, you are not registered with FEMA," Mayne said. "The only way to register is to call or go online."

FEMA provides temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation, medical and dental costs and funeral and burial expenses. By registering, individuals will also receive an application for a low-interest loan from the Small Business Administration. No one is required to take a loan from the SBA, but loan applications must be submitted to be eligible for the full range of assistance available from FEMA.

Customer services representatives from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will be at disaster centers to answer any questions about the SBA's low-interest disaster loan program for homeowners, renters, businesses and private non-profit organizations of all sizes. These loans are to repair or replace real estate and/or personal property damaged by the storms and flooding. There is no cost to apply for an SBA loan.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government's primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs and rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants may call (800) 659-2955 (TTY 1-8...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: