Register With FEMA Even if Home is Inaccessible

Main Content
Release date: 
August 17, 2011
Release Number: 

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- If flooded roadways are keeping you from returning home, it is important to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for help that may include rental assistance from the agency's Individuals and Households Program (IHP).

When homes are inaccessible due to a disaster, as is the case for many in Missouri, FEMA generally provides rental assistance. Additional assistance may be provided on a month-by-month basis while the homes remain inaccessible.

The amount renters receive is the "fair market rate" for rental housing appropriate for the size of the household in their county of residence. Those values are determined annually by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD.

Registration may be completed online at, by smartphone through, or by calling FEMA's toll-free registration line at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with access or functional needs who use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362 Multi-language assistance is available. Telephone registration is available daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., until further notice.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top