Montanans Affected By Flooding Need to Register With FEMA

Main Content
Release date: 
August 15, 2011
Release Number: 

Helena, Mont. -- Disaster assistance from FEMA is available to assist individuals and businesses affected by this year's flooding, but only by registering.

"Even if you registered with the state or your county, you still need to register specifically with FEMA to be eligible for assistance," said Montana Disaster and Emergency Services Administrator Ed Tinsley. "FEMA assistance is available for recovery costs such as housing assistance, personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

It is now time to apply for help by registering.

Residents suffering losses in the 16 Montana counties and 3 reservations, designated as disaster areas resulting from the flooding that occurred April 4 to July 22, are urged to register for assistance as soon as possible.

"Until you call 1-800-621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585) or go online to you are not registered," said Federal Coordinating Officer Doug Mayne. "We want Montanans to register and get federal help as they recover from the flooding. Assistance isn't guaranteed, but if you don't register, it's guaranteed you won't get any assistance."

  • Register even if you are insured. Your insurance coverage may not be adequate and FEMA may be able to assist with some of your uncompensated or out-of-pocket expenses. Anyone in the designated counties who suffered any damage or loss should register for assistance.
  • Remember, disaster assistance covers a wide range of losses from property damage to loss of essential personal property.

Here's what applicants can do by phone:

  • Register for disaster assistance.
  • Notify FEMA of a change in address or phone number.
  • Track the progress of an application.
  • Learn how to appeal a FEMA decision.
  • Get answers to questions about what to do next.

Persons with flood-related losses need to first register with FEMA by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or online at  Help is available in most languages. If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly. At the website survivors can get information from 17 federal agencies offering 69 assistance programs.

Persons affected by the floods can also apply for federal assistance through a web-enabled mobile device or Smartphone by going to and following the link to apply online for federal assistance and other recovery help.

Being proactive can help speed the possibility of receiving help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Assistance is now available to residents and businesses in ­the following counties and reservations for damages caused by flooding: Big Horn, Blackfeet Reservation, Carbon, Cascade, Crow Reservation, Custer, Fergus, Fort Belknap Reservation, Garfield, Hill, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Lewis and Clark, Missoula, Musselshell, Petroleum, Sweet Grass, Valley and Yellowstone.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top