When the FEMA Inspector Comes to Your Damaged Property

Main Content
Release date: 
August 12, 2011
Release Number: 

HELENA, Mont. -- Residents who were affected by flooding may be waiting to have their homes inspected by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for damage. The damage inspection is part of the recovery process.

As of Friday, 1,175 applicants had registered and FEMA inspectors had completed 903 home inspections." We are working quickly to meet the needs of those affected by the disaster," said Federal Coordinating Officer Doug Mayne.

After applying for disaster assistance by calling the FEMA registration number at 1-800-621-3362 (1-800-462-7585 TTY) or online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov, a FEMA inspector will contact you within five days to schedule an appointment to inspect your home.

It is imperative during registration to give clear, accurate directions to the damaged property and a current phone number where you can be reached. A street address is needed. Post office boxes do not show locations.

You may see inspectors in your neighborhood. They are following schedules and can only inspect the homes where they have made an appointment. FEMA inspectors, SBA loss verifiers and insurance adjusters are required to carry identification. If an inspector comes to your home, ask to see identification.

Registrants should be prepared to provide written confirmation of ownership, such as a tax receipt, deed, mortgage payment book, or home insurance policy with the address of the damaged property. Having the necessary documentation will help speed up the inspection process.

Owners and renters must show that the damaged property was their primary residence at the time of the disaster. Inspectors will accept a valid driver's license or current utility bill (such as an electric, gas or water bill) as proof of occupancy.

The inspection is free and consists of inspecting damaged areas of your home and a review of your records. The inspector enters information into an electronic device that sends the information to FEMA to speed up the process of providing assistance. The inspector does not determine whether an applicant is eligible for assistance.

For any questions, call the FEMA registration line at 1-800-621-3362.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government's primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs and rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants may call (800) 659-2955 (TTY 1-800-977-8339).

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top