Disaster Recovery Center Opens In Carbon County

Main Content
Release date: 
August 4, 2011
Release Number: 

HELENA, Mont. – The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) opened a disaster recovery center in Joliet to assist individuals, households and businesses that were affected by the storms and flooding this spring in Montana.

The Joliet center opened officially at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 3 and is staffed with disaster recovery specialists who can provide information and answer questions about flood related assistance.  Hours will be 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. for the first few days then hours may change based on need. 

The Joliet Center is located at:

Joliet School
300 N Park St
Joliet, MT

"Flooding that hit communities along the Yellowstone River this spring were very destructive," said Montana’s Disaster and Emergency Services Coordinator Ed Tinsley. “County Disaster and Emergency Service Coordinators are very grateful that FEMA has staff out in communities answering questions directly.” 

Homeowners, renters and businesses can register with FEMA by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362), or going online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or via a web-enabled mobile device at m.fema.gov. Multilingual registration assistance is available. Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY can call 800-462-7585 directly. 

"I cannot stress enough that calling or using the website to register is the preferred way for someone to register.  Having easy access to documents will speed up the process,” advised FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Doug Mayne.  “That said, we encourage anyone with a question about their registration or any other storm-related issue to stop by the center and talk to one of our specialists.”

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) representatives are also at the disaster centers to answer any questions about the SBA's low-interest disaster loan program for homeowners, renters, businesses and private non-profit organizations of all sizes. These loans are to repair or replace real estate and/or personal property damaged by the storms and flooding.  Individuals who are registered with FEMA will be sent a loan application from the SBA. No one is obligated to take out a loan. In fact, applicants have six months after approval to decide whether to accept the loan.

To start the process, those affected should first register with FEMA, by phone or online. An SBA application will be sent directly to those who register. Then, representatives at recovery centers can help complete applications and also accept applications on-site.

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation, medical and dental, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

While registering with FEMA first is the desired process, SBA disaster loan information and application forms can be obtained by calling the SBA's Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 (TTY 1-800-977-8339) Monday through Friday or by applying on-line at disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs and rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property.  These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or ...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top