Deadline to File Request for Public Assistance (Infrastructure) Funds Approaches

Main Content
Release date: 
August 4, 2011
Release Number: 
4004-003

SAN JUAN, PR -- Commonwealth and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) officials announced today that government agencies and certain private non-profit organizations needing funds to rebuild infrastructure damages caused by severe storms, flooding, mudslides, and landslides, which occurred in Puerto Rico from May 20 to June 8, 2011, must submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) form to the Office of the Governor's Authorized Representative (GAR) no later than August 15, 2011.  

Under the July 14, 2011 presidential disaster declaration, the municipalities of Añasco, Caguas, Camuy, Ciales, Hatillo, Las Piedras, Morovis, Orocovis, San Lorenzo, San Sebastián, Utuado and Villalba were made eligible to apply for federal disaster funds. The municipality of Yabucoa was added to the declaration on July 28, 2011 and its deadline is August 29, 2011.

Government agencies and certain private non-profit organizations are encouraged to apply promptly. Ms. Carmen Hernández, Puerto Rico Office of Management and Budget- GAR Officer, is the contact to obtain the RPA form. RPAs may be faxed to 787-772-6984.

FEMA's Public Assistance (Infrastructure) program reimburses state and municipal governments the cost of eligible emergency protective measures, debris removal, and can fund the repair, restoration, reconstruction or replacement of public infrastructure such as roads and bridges, water control facilities, public buildings and contents, public utilities and parks, and other recreational facilities damaged during a disaster. FEMA funds up to 75 percent of approved projects and the state government contributes the remaining 25 percent.

Some private non-profit organizations may qualify for aid to restore certain types of facilities that include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care, and other facilities that provide essential government types of services.

While governments prepare for disasters, FEMA encourages individuals, families and businesses to be proactive and get ready for any hazards in their communities; have an emergency kit and plan, and get flood insurance. Additional emergency preparedness information is available at www.ready.gov.

FEMA's mission to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top