FEMA Deadline Set For Commonwealth, Local Agencies to Apply

Main Content
Release date: 
August 3, 2011
Release Number: 
4003-003

HARRISBURG, Penn. -- State and local agencies and certain private nonprofit organizations in Tioga, Lycoming, Sullivan, Wyoming, and Bradford counties that may be eligible for federal disaster assistance have only a few more days to apply before the August 12 deadline.

Public Assistance (PA) funds for reimbursement or restoration are available in those counties as part of a presidential disaster declaration for damages by severe storms and flooding from April 25 - April 28.

These funds are for expenses or damage incurred during the disaster and cover items such as debris removal, emergency protective measures, repair or replacement of roads, bridges, water control facilities, buildings, equipment, utilities, parks and other facilities.

PA funds are made available by FEMA on a cost sharing basis with FEMA picking up 75 percent of the eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent is the responsibility of the commonwealth/local agency or eligible nonprofit organization.

To apply, eligible agencies and organizations must first submit a one-page Request for Public Assistance (RPA) to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by Friday, August 12. To date, 109 RPAs have been submitted, but officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency believe other eligible organizations have yet to apply. Eligible organizations should contact their County Emergency Management Coordinator for additional information.

Additional information about this disaster is available at www.fema.gov.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top