Disaster Recovery Center Now Open in Roundup

Main Content
Release date: 
August 1, 2011
Release Number: 

HELENA, Mont. – A state and federal Disaster Recovery Center has opened at The Panther Den across from Central School in Roundup.  The center is open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily to provide assistance to those whose homes or businesses were affected by recent flooding and storms. 

Before visiting a center, people with storm-related losses should register with FEMA by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov. Help is available in most languages. Those with speech or hearing impairment can call (TTY) 800-462-7585

Persons affected by the storms also can apply for federal assistance through a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone. Visit and follow the link to apply online for federal assistance and other recovery help.

Additional Disaster Recovery Centers will open in other locations in the near future for survivors who suffered losses from storms and flooding.

Sixteen counties and three Indian reservations were designated for individual assistance from the storms and related flooding that occurred from April 4 to July 22.  Assistance is now available to residents and businesses in ­the following counties and reservations for damages caused by flooding: Big Horn, Blackfeet Reservation, Carbon, Cascade, Crow Reservation, Custer, Fergus, Fort Belknap Reservation, Garfield, Hill, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Lewis and Clark, Missoula, Musselshell, Petroleum, Sweet Grass, Valley and Yellowstone.

Emergency management experts from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, U.S. Small Business Administration and other agencies will staff the center to explain disaster assistance programs.

FEMA’s Individual Assistance program includes a wide range of aid, including emergency home repair, temporary disaster housing, replacement grants for serious disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or assistance programs. For those insured, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered by insurance.

Residents must register with FEMA at the above numbers or online to be eligible for all forms of federal assistance. Filing damage reports with state or county emergency managers or voluntary agencies will not start the federal disaster assistance process.

Officials advise applicants to have the following information available when applying for assistance:

  • Current telephone number;
  • Address at the time of the disaster and current address;      
  • Social Security number, if available;
  • A general list of damages and losses suffered;
  • In cases where the applicant is insured, the names of the company and agent, as well as the policy number;
  • Bank account coding for those who wish to speed up assistance by using direct deposit.

FEMA disaster assistance covers basic needs only and typically does not compensate eligible applicants for their entire losses. FEMA disaster aid is generally offered in the form of grants that do not have to be paid back.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs and rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property.  These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.  For information about SBA programs, applicants may call (800) 659-2955 (TTY 1-800-977-8339).


Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top