Main Content

Call FEMA to Request New Inspection or Appeal Decision

Main Content
Release date: 
August 1, 2011
Release Number: 

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – If you think the FEMA inspector did not see all of the damages to your home or property after the Alabama tornadoes, you can ask the Federal Emergency Management Agency for another inspection.

If you want an inspector to take another look or if you have questions about your FEMA letter, you should call FEMA at 800-621-3362 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

If your FEMA status cannot be cleared up by phone, then a written appeal should be postmarked to FEMA within 60 days of receiving your determination letter. In your letter:

  • Explain why you think the decision you received is not correct.
  • Include your full name, date, place of birth and address.
  • Your letter must either be notarized, include a copy of a state-issued identification card or include the following statement: “I hereby declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.’’
  • You must sign the letter.

Appeal letters should include your FEMA disaster identification registration number (found at the top of your decision letter) and the federal disaster declaration number (for the Alabama tornadoes, it is DR-1971-AL). Date your appeal letter and mail it to the following address:

FEMA - Appeals Officer
National Processing Service Center
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-7055

You can also fax letters to 800-827-8112 with a cover sheet addressed to: Attention – FEMA Appeals Officer.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: