Two More Hoosier Counties Get FEMA Public Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
July 29, 2011
Release Number: 
1997-002

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Vermillion and Wayne counties are now eligible to apply for federal aid to supplement state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit (PNP) organizations response efforts in the wake of storms and flooding that occurred earlier this year.

The counties were requested by the state and added after a review of recent damage assessments. Public Assistance (PA) funds for reimbursement or restoration are now available in 34 Indiana counties as part of a presidential disaster declaration for storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and floods that occurred April 19 and April 22 to May 2, and flooding resulting from those storms beginning April 19 and ending June 6.

These funds are for expenses or damages incurred for eligible emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities. The assistance covers items such as debris removal, emergency protective measures, repair or replacement of roads, bridges, water control facilities, buildings, equipment, utilities, parks and other facilities.

PA funds are made available on a cost sharing basis with FEMA picking up 75 percent of the eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent are the responsibility of the local agency or eligible nonprofit organization. Approved public repair projects are paid through the state from funding provided by FEMA and other participating federal agencies.

State recovery officials will contact local governments and certain PNPs officials to explain the application procedures. FEMA PA personnel will also be available to answer specific questions and meet with applicants.

The original 32 counties eligible for public assistance are Benton, Clark, Crawford, Daviess, Dearborn, Dubois, Floyd, Franklin, Gibson, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Knox, Martin, Monroe, Ohio, Orange, Parke, Perry, Pike, Posey, Putnam, Ripley, Scott, Spencer, Starke, Sullivan, Switzerland, Vanderburgh, Warrick and Washington.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders and to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top