Connectors, Straps and Ties: Make Your North Alabama House Stronger in a Storm

Main Content
Release date: 
July 29, 2011
Release Number: 

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Madison County residents who want to make their homes and businesses more storm resistant can get advice from FEMA staff at local building supply stores from Aug. 2 to Aug. 6.

“This is great free information from FEMA engineers and construction experts,” said Luletha Cheatham, FEMA’s hazard mitigation branch director. “These techniques can save lives and property.”

FEMA has how-to literature, building diagrams and a model of a wood-frame house to showcase ways buildings can be strengthened. Using connectors, straps and ties at key joints can transfer the pressure of high winds from a structure’s roof to its foundation.

Residents can also get information on the different types of storm shelters, ranging from re-fabricated shelters to those built from scratch or included in new home plans. Guidelines will be available for FEMA-approved safe rooms and shelters, along with building plans, information from the National Storm Shelter Association, and demonstration replicas of safe rooms.

FEMA staff will be set up near the entrance to the stores Tuesday through Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

3505 N. Memorial Parkway N.W.
Huntsville, AL 35810

Home Depot
10012 S. Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35803

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top