FEMA Deadline Set For State, Local Agencies to Apply

Main Content
Release date: 
July 19, 2011
Release Number: 
1997-001

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana state and local agencies and certain private nonprofit organizations that may be eligible for federal disaster assistance have only a few more days to apply before the July 25 deadline.

Public Assistance (PA) funds for reimbursement or restoration are available in 32 Indiana counties as part of a presidential disaster declaration for damages by severe storms, tornadoes, and straight-line winds occurring on April 19 and April 22 to May 2, 2011, and flooding resulting from those storms beginning on April 19 and ending June 6, 2011.

These funds are for expenses or damage incurred during the disaster and cover items such as debris removal, emergency protective measures, repair or replacement of roads, bridges, water control facilities, buildings, equipment, utilities, parks and other facilities.

PA funds are made available by FEMA on a cost sharing basis with FEMA picking up 75 percent of the eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent is the responsibility of the state/local agency or eligible nonprofit organization.

To apply, eligible agencies and organizations must first submit a one-page Request for Public Assistance (RPA) to the State of Indiana by Monday, July 25. To date, 96 RPAs have been submitted, but officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) believe many other eligible organizations have yet to apply.

The 32 counties eligible for public assistance areBenton, Clark, Crawford, Daviess, Dearborn, Dubois, Floyd, Franklin, Gibson, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Knox, Martin, Monroe, Ohio, Orange, Parke, Perry, Pike, Posey, Putnam, Ripley, Scott, Spencer, Starke, Sullivan, Switzerland, Vanderburgh, Warrick, and Washington.

Private nonprofit organizations wishing to apply for PA must also complete an additional qualifying form to determine eligibility. The form can be found online at www.in.gov/dhs. Once completed, the form should be faxed to IDHS at 317-234-7236.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders and to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: