Main Content

Disaster Aid Ok'd for Residents and Businesses in Three Counties and Spirit Lake Nation

Release date: 
July 13, 2011
Release Number: 

BISMARCK, N.D. – Federal disaster assistance is now available to residents and businesses in Barnes, Ramsey and Richland counties and Spirit Lake Nation for damages caused by flooding that began Feb. 14 and continues. Such aid was already approved for Burleigh, Ward, McHenry, Morton and Renville counties.

State and federal officials encourage those affected by the disaster to register for assistance immediately by calling toll-free 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585. The toll-free line is in operation from 6 a.m. to midnight (CDT) until further notice. Registration can be accomplished anytime at or with a smart phone at

FEMA’s Individual Assistance program includes a wide range of aid, including emergency home repair, temporary disaster housing, replacement grants for serious disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs. For those insured, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered by insurance.

Officials remind affected residents they must register with FEMA to be eligible for all forms of federal assistance. Filing damage reports with state or county emergency managers or voluntary agencies does not start the federal disaster assistance process.

Applicants should have the following information available when applying for assistance:

  • Current telephone number;
  • Address at the time of the disaster and current address;
  • Social Security number, if available;
  • A general list of damages and losses suffered;
  • In cases where the applicant is insured, the names of the company and agent, as well as the policy number;
  • Bank account coding for those who wish to speed up assistance by using direct deposit.

FEMA disaster assistance covers basic needs only and does not normally compensate eligible applicants for their entire losses. FEMA disaster aid is generally offered in the form of grants that do not have to be paid back.

The U.S. Small Business Administration offers low-interest disaster loans for homeowners, renters and businesses of all sizes to repair or replace damaged or destroyed private property. SBA also offers low-interest working capital loans, called Economic Injury Disaster Loans, to small businesses and most private, non-profit organizations.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: