Survivors Must Contact FEMA to Keep Temporary Housing Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
July 11, 2011
Release Number: 

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – If you received temporary housing assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and continue to have a housing need, you must fill out an important form for additional short-term rental assistance.

FEMA mails all applicants who receive temporary rental assistance the “Declaration for Continuing Need for Rental Assistance” form. It reaffirms that applicants have an ongoing need for temporary housing while they search for a permanent place to live.

  • This form is mailed 15 days after applicants receive their initial rental assistance grant.
  • Applicants who need additional rental assistance must complete the form and mail it back to FEMA at the address printed on the form.
  • If you don’t have the form, contact FEMA’s toll-free helpline 800-621-FEMA (3362).

FEMA rental assistance lasts for a short-term period, so it’s important for survivors to have a permanent housing plan. Returning to a permanent home is a significant milestone on the road to recovery.

Survivors temporarily living in FEMA-provided manufactured housing will be visited by a FEMA specialist every 30 days.

  • Visits from FEMA specialists start 30 days after the survivor is granted use of the unit.
  • The visits continue every 30 days as long as the survivor occupies the unit, returns home or has exhausted their rental options.

Survivors with questions about temporary housing assistance should contact FEMA’s toll-free helpline 800-621-FEMA (3362). Those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, should call 800-462-7585. Lines are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., and multilingual assistance is available.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top