Main Content

Disaster Survivors in Franklin and Johnson Counties Urged to Register With FEMA

Main Content
Release date: 
July 8, 2011
Release Number: 

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Arkansans in Franklin and Johnson counties who sustained property damage as a result of the storms, tornadoes and flooding of May 24-26 are urged to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), as they may be eligible for grants, loans or other help.

"If you were affected by the May storms and haven't yet registered with FEMA, do so today," said State Coordinating Officer David Maxwell of the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management. "The new disaster declaration could bring state and federal assistance to help you recover, repair and rebuild."

On July 8, President Barack Obama issued a major disaster declaration, making Individual Assistance available to eligible homeowners, renters and business owners in Franklin and Johnson counties. The declaration also includes Public Assistance for eligible government entities and certain nonprofit groups in Franklin, Johnson and Crawford counties.

"Registering with FEMA is the first step to possible state and federal aid," said Deputy Federal Coordinating Officer W. Michael Moore. "FEMA Individual Assistance specialists are here in Arkansas and they are ready to rush help to eligible survivors."

Disaster-affected Arkansans can register online at, via web-enabled phone at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone numbers are operating from 7 a.m. to midnight seven days a week.

Individual Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, and for other serious disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses or funeral and burial costs. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration also may be available to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.

Survivors in Franklin and Johnson counties should register with FEMA even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has registered with the state or another disaster-relief organization such as the American Red Cross, or local community or church organization. FEMA registrants must use the name that appears on their Social Security card. Applicants will be asked to provide:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where they can get mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers if they want direct deposit of any financial assistance

Public Assistance (PA) is directed to the state and its agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit groups to clean up debris and/or help cover the cost of taking measures before, during and immediately after the disaster to protect lives and property. PA reimbursements also help repair infrastructure damaged or destroyed as a result of a disaster.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: