Disaster Recovery Center Relocates and Hours Change

Main Content
Release date: 
July 8, 2011
Release Number: 

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- The Disaster Recovery Center at the Vermont State Police Barracks in St. Albans will cease operations this Saturday, July 9th at 6:00 p.m. Those who still may have questions about disaster assistance from the spring's severe storms and flooding can visit the nearby DRC at Swanton Industrial Park at 20 Precision Lane, Swanton, Vt. 05488.

Another DRC is serving residents in Chittenden County at Mallets Bay Fire Station at 844 Church Road, Colchester, Vt. 05446.

The DRCs are open Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday hours are now noon to 6:00 p.m.

DRCs are staffed with federal recovery specialists who can provide information on disaster assistance and answer questions about specific applications. They can also direct residents to other possible aid from voluntary agencies and information on reducing damage in future disasters.

Disaster officials prefer that affected residents apply to the Federal Emergency Management Agency's registration line before visiting. The number is 800-621-FEMA (3362). Multilingual registration assistance is also available. You cannot register for FEMA assistance by calling 211, the state's emergency hotline. If you previously reported damage to 211 you are not registered.

Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY can call 800-462-7585 directly, or 800-621-3362, if using 711 or Video Relay Service. Registration can also be done online anytime at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or through web-enabled mobile phone devices at m.fema.gov.

Once someone has registered, DRC staff can provide additional information or answer any questions. Those who need help registering can of course do so at one of the centers.

U.S. Small Business Administration representatives are also available at the centers to provide information about SBA low-interest disaster loans for homeowners, renters, businesses and private non-profit organizations of all sizes. Representatives will be on hand to help complete loan applications. Completing a loan application does not mean you have to accept a loan, but it is an important part of the disaster assistance process, opening the door to other possible financial assistance.

Those who have already registered with FEMA and still have questions can also call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585. If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 1-800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

SBA disaster loan information and application forms may be obtained by calling the SBA's Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for people with speech or hearing disabilities) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET or by sending an e-mail to disastercustomerservice@sba.gov. Applications can also be downloaded from www.sba.gov or completed on-line at ...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top