Main Content

FEMA Makes Grants for Many Kinds of Disaster-Related Needs

Main Content
Release date: 
July 5, 2011
Release Number: 

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency makes grants for many types of disaster-related needs.  For many needs the disaster recovery money FEMA provides to survivors is not a loan and does not need to be repaid.

Here are some of the losses and damages that can be paid for with FEMA grants:

  • Expenses to repair your damaged home
  • Rent to pay for another place to live while your damaged home is repaired or you find other housing. These grants can be for homeowners or for renters.
  • Uninsured costs to buy a new home to replace your disaster-destroyed home
  • Repair or replacement of necessary possessions lost or damaged due to the disaster
    These grants can be for homeowners or renters to pay for such items as:
    • Clothing
    • Appliances
    • Furniture
    • Educational supplies, such as computers and school books
    • Tools required for your job
    • Medical equipment
    • Other essential possessions
  • Costs for cleaning up, such as a chain saw to clear debris, dehumidifiers or use of a professional cleanup service
  • Costs for other expenses due to the disaster -- both homeowners and renters may be eligible for these grants. These are examples:
    • Medical or dental costs to treat disaster-related injuries
    • Funeral and burial costs for anyone killed by the disaster
    • Moving and storage expenses related to the disaster
    • Replacement or repair of a vehicle damaged in the disaster
    • Other essential expenses

FEMA and the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency urge everyone with any serious disaster-related losses to register for aid. There are three ways to register:

  • By phone, call the FEMA Helpline 800-621-FEMA (3362) from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time. Operators are multilingual. For the speech- or hearing-impaired, the number is TTY 800-462-7585.
  • By computer, go online to
  • By Smartphone or tablet, go to

There are two Tennessee disasters designated for assistance to individuals and households with disaster-related losses.

Severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and associated flooding April 25-28.

The counties included in this disaster (DR-1974) are Bledsoe, Bradley, Carroll, Cocke, Crockett, Greene, Hamilton, Hardin, Henry, Johnson, Knox, Madison, McMinn, Monroe, Montgomery, Rhea and Washington.

Severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and associated flooding April 19-June 7.

The counties included in this disaster (DR-1979) are Dyer, Gibson, Lake, Lauderdale, Lincoln, Obion, Shelby, Stewart and Tipton.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA's housing assistance and Other Needs Assistance grants for medical, dental, and funeral expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be considered for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses. Applicants who do not qualify for a SBA loan may be eligible to receive Other Needs Assistance grants for these items.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work t...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: