Receipts Required for Extended Rental Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
June 30, 2011
Release Number: 

Bismarck, N.D. – The first check many North Dakotans affected by flooding will receive from the Federal Emergency Management Agency will be for one month’s rental assistance. Many recipients will be able to qualify for additional rental assistance, but only if they are able to show proper use of the first month’s payment by providing a verifiable receipt. Generally, a verifiable receipt is one with a phone number for the business or person providing the lodging.

When homes are inaccessible due to a disaster, as is the case for many in North Dakota, FEMA generally provides one month of rental assistance. Additional assistance may be provided on a month-by-month basis while the homes remain inaccessible.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

The North Dakota Department of Emergency Services provides 24/7 emergency communications and resource coordination with more than 50 lead and support agencies, private enterprise, and voluntary organizations to assist local jurisdictions in disaster and emergency response activities. It administers federal disaster recovery programs and the Homeland Security Grant Program.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term repair and rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private, nonprofit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants may call (800) 659-2955  (TTY 800-977-8339).

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top