Main Content

FEMA Inspectors Are In The Field - What to Expect

Release date: 
June 27, 2011
Release Number: 

Bismarck, ND – Inspectors from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) have started meeting with disaster applicants in Burleigh and Ward counties whose primary homes were damaged or destroyed by the record 2011 flooding.

Inspectors are private contractors who wear official FEMA identification badges. Authorized inspectors will only confirm personal detailed information that has been provided previously during the registration process. They will usually not approach an applicant without prior telephone contact.

Here Is What To Expect:

Inspector's Call: After you register, an inspector will call you to schedule an appointment to visit your damaged property – generally no more than 10 days after you register.

Because some residences are inaccessible due to continuing high water, inspectors and applicants may arrange to meet off-site. Anyone in Minot who is uncomfortable with meeting at the location suggested by the inspector may ask instead to meet at a site designated by the police department.

Be sure to see the inspector’s FEMA badge. FEMA inspectors will never ask for money, for bank account information, or for a Social Security number.

Inspector's Visit: Keep the scheduled appointment to make sure the assistance process moves quickly. The inspection typically takes 15 to 45 minutes.

The applicant or another adult who lived at the property must be present for the scheduled appointment.

The inspector will ask for identification and proof of ownership and occupancy (for homeowners) and occupancy only (for renters). You can speed up the process by having the appropriate documents on hand:

  • A photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport.
  • Proof of occupancy, which may include:
    • A lease, rent receipt, utility bill or other document confirming the home was the primary residence
    • A pay stub or similar document showing the address of the damaged home
  • Proof of ownership, which may include:
    • A deed showing applicant as the legal owner
    • A title that lists applicant on escrow or title document; mortgage payment book that names the applicant along with the address
    • A property insurance policy with applicant's name as the insured
    • Tax receipt or bill that lists the address and the applicant as the responsible party.
Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: